Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Arlington Cemetery

Arlington National Cemetery is a must visit when you come to DC.  I had no idea how impressed I would be with the Cemetery.  It is a very solemn place.  To look out in any direction and see nothing but white headstones is quite impressive.  To stop and realize that each of those headstones represents an individual who at some point in their life fought for this country, and the freedoms we have, is overwhelming. 

Arlington National Cemetery is the final resting place for both President John F Kennedy and William H Taft.  A short walk from the Kennedy gravesite is the Civil War tomb of the unknowns along with an arbor of sorts.  The home you see on top of the hill when walking towards the cemetery is the Custis Lee house.  Home of Robert E. Lee.  The house is open for tours, however when I was there there was really nothing in the home as the signs indicate it is under repair. 

A fairly good hike over from the Custis-Lee house is the Tomb of the Unknowns.  On my first trip to the Cemetery I came up at the end of the changing of the guard.  Its my understanding the guard changes every 30 minutes.  it is very ceremonial and worth checking out.  If you go at the right time of day you can also watch the soldiers take down the flag for the day at the flagpole on the East (i think) of the ampitheatre at the tomb of the unknowns. 

I first visited Arlington National Cemetery on the day before the Memorial Day Holiday.  As such each headstone had a small American Flag in front.  Im told you can go around Christmas and there will be a wreath on each headstone.  I'll try to go back and get some photos of that as well. 

I would strong encourage anyone visiting the Washington DC area to take time to visit the Arlington National Cemetery.  Nearby the cemetery is also the Iwo Jima Memorial, as well as the Pentagon. 
I posted a few photos of my hike through Arlington, hope you enjoy them.  For all of my photos from the day you can visit Arlington National Cemetery  (link should open in a new page)

John F. Kennedy Gravesite

A flag for every soldier

This was beside the Civil War tomb of the unknowns.

The Tomb of the Unknown

Soldiers taking down the flag for the day




No comments:

Post a Comment