Saturday, June 30, 2012

The National Zoo

May 26, 2012  (Memorial Day Weekend)

I opted to go to the zoo to take some pictures of the animals.  I thought this would be a great idea as i had just bought a couple of new lenses and needed to use them.  I had however, previously been warned that there are no animals at the zoo.  What this person meant, is not that there are literally no animals at the zoo, but rather there are no animals you can actually see at the zoo. 

I found this to be true on two accounts.  One, the zoo was so darn crowded you couldnt get close enough to the barriers to actually see the animals.  And secondly, the animals like to stay hidden in their habitats during the day. 

Had I of fully understood this I might would have chosen a different day and time to go.  Maybe like November when its not too hot to be outside, and maybe DC is not packed with summer time vacationers.   I also would have picked a different pair of shoes.  For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to wear a brand new pair of keen sandals on this day.  I might have failed to mention there is a ton of walking one must do at the zoo.  I love the keen sandals now, and wear them all the time but that particular day they rubbed blisters on my feet since i had not yet broke them in. 

The Pandas were inside, tThe nice part about that is A/C  the down side to that is it was super crowded in there and getting close to the glass to take a picture ended up being quite a waiting game.   

I thought this little duck was pretty cute just strutting it stuff. 

These little pictures do not do justice for the full size photos, but i liked how this one turned out in full screen. 

Peacocking!

This picture is just freaky to me.  Those gray eyes sort of give me the creeps.  This is also an anaconda so it is a huge snake. 

This was one of the few animals that was actually out moving around his environment.  I think he felt threated as he was out marking his territory. 

Although she just sat there quietly, im pretty sure I would not want to stumble up on her in the wild. 

I guess it wasnt really that bad, i did get a few photos of animals at the zoo that I liked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment