Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Luray Caverns

So not long after I got here I had decided I wanted to visit the spy museum as well as the Museum of Crime and Punishment.  I had planned to visit them on Saturday,  that is until I was watching TV Friday night and saw Luray Caverns on a TV show.  While watching the TV show, I looked it up and realized it was just over an hour from the house.  So I still have not been to the Spy Museum or the Crime and Punishment museum,  but I have been to Luray Caverns. 

The photos below were from my second visit to the Caverns.  I originally went and did not take my camera.  When mom came up to visit we went back and this time I took my camera.  It helped that i had just purchased a few new lenses that I wanted to try out. 

I have visited a few caverns in my time, and have always liked them. Some are obviously better than others depending on what the owners have done inside to show off the formations and how well lit they are.  I have now decided though, that once you have seen one set of caverns you have really seen all caverns.  The fun part of caverns is the formations.  If the tour guides dont point out the formations, then they all pretty much look the same. 

There were a couple of things I liked about Luray Caverns.  One they have an organ in the caverns that plays music using the stalactites in the caverns.  Each key is attached to a selenoid that will tap the stalactite with a rubber ball.  In addition, the caverns have a pool close to the end of the caverns whereby visitors can toss in some money.  The money is collected once a year and donated to a charity.  The plaque hanging above shows they have donated over $800,000.00 to charity since they started. 

Below are some photos from the Caverns, if you wish to see the whole album you can visit:Luray Caverns

The first time I was in this room, the guide said it was the fish market.  I thought he was referring to these two holes, the left sort of looks like a dolphin nose, and the right reminds me of a shark.  Come to find out he wasnt talking about that at all, he was referencing some other formation. 

This is actually a mirror reflection of the ceiling from the lake below. 

Waterfall

I thought this looked like some towels hanging out to dry. 

The Stalactite Organ

No comments:

Post a Comment