Monday, July 16, 2012

Religous Dungeon

So I have heard of the National Cathedral and watched politicians make speeches here on TV.  Even so, I have no idea it was an Epispocal Church,  I always thought it was a catholic church.

While Dad and Kay visited we took a drive up to the National Cathedral.  Its is definately an amazing structure inside and out.  Deep down however, i didnt feel like I was in a church.  Now let me clarify I grew up in a Baptist Church and so this is what I know.  We tend to celebrate the life of Jesus and you feel as if your in a church when you are inside the sanctuary. 

Inside the National Cathedral I felt as if I was in a shrine, but not so much in a good way.  It just felt werid to me.  Then we went down into the basement which felt like a dungeon.  I didnt feel unsafe or anything, it just had a very old world castle and dungeon feel to me moreso than a house of worship.  its not everyday I see a church with gargoyles on the side.  It even has a darth vader gargoyle im told somwhere on one of the upper levels.   I am not used to so many alters, or having people buried inside the church either.   That said, if you come to DC you should definately make time to see the National Cathedral.  Not suggesting you go there to worship, but architecturally it is a very interesting.  I do like how when the sun shines through the stained glass windows all of the colors light up on the walls. 

Below are some shots of the Cathedral, and as always you can find the full set on my flickr page.  National Cathedral

Front of the National Cathedral

The netting was added after the earthquake I believe, but this photo gives you an idea how the stained glass reflects the colors onto the interior of the building. 

I loved the architecture of the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment